I have been looking at Jeff Rich‘s work for a while now, and I keep coming back to it. I first saw it last December on Fraction, and he was awarded the Critical Mass Book Award shortly after. Then in March I had the chance to meet him at the national Society for Photographic Education conference in Atlanta. Compelling work + super awesome personality = life-long fan. Done and done.
Jeff’s work, Watershed, shows how the human impact on land affects the water running over it. In his words:
This is a long-term series of work that aims to define the Mississippi River watershed, the largest watershed in North America, in terms of its smaller pieces. I intend to document the four corners of the watershed in a series of chapters. The French Broad, and the Tennessee watersheds make up the southeastern corner of the Mississippi watershed.
And because Jeff is such a rock star, and we love to surround ourselves with rock stars, we are especially excited to announce that we will be exclusively representing him in the US. Expect to be seeing a lot more from Jeff in the coming months, but until then, let’s find out a little more about this guy. . .
25 Things You Don’t Know About Me: Jeff Rich
1. I am a “bird nerd” I grew up as a birdwatcher…
2. I grew up in Harbor Island, in the Bahamas and Satellite Beach, Florida, on the Space Coast, near where “I Dream of Genie” was set.
3. I am a recovering Surfer.
4. I love Irish Oatmeal.
5. Star Trek TNG (That’s all I’m saying on this one)
6. I was a film major in a past life.
7. I don’t like Iced Tea either…
8. I went through a phase where all I wore was black.
9. I don’t know when to put on a jacket…see #2
10. I once tried to give up coffee.
11. As I child I went though several phases of obsession, see #1 #3 #8 and #5 (and #6).
12. I love Kurt Vonnegut.
13. I am a huge fan of Akira Kurosawa and Yasujiro Ozu films.
14. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve gotten less laid back. See #10
15. I love electronic music.
16. I have 3 dogs that own me.
17. 3rd favorite song, Telephone Call from Istanbul, by Tom Waits
18. I love the Desert and I love the Water…see #19
19. The Secret Knowledge of Water, by Craig Childs
20. 2nd favorite song “Heart and Soul” by Joy Division.
21. I use a light meter.
22. I have an amazing and supportive family.
23. I let Bob Saget borrow a chair one time.
24. Favorite song Ex-Con, by Smog
25. I like walking in the rain (but not Piña Coladas).